Blog Archive

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Lewis Powell Jr.

 I just read the well-known memo written by Lewis Powell in 1971, where he excoriated the business community for not fighting back harder against leftists and liberals who he saw as tearing at the fabric of business, free enterprise, and the entire American system.

I must say, though, Powell comes off as more open-minded than most conservatives nowadays. He is at least willing to have a liberal viewpoint in the public square, yet, he does appear dogmatic when it comes to certain bromides of big business.

I'm glad I read the letter. But I must say, I do find it hard to imagine the letter was the source of the groundswell of conservative energy in the 70s or early 80s. Nonetheless, the business community surely began to fight back and is now one of the most powerful lobbying groups in America.

                                                                   ***

No comments:

Post a Comment