Blog Archive

Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Psychology of Euphonic Writing

I have always been fascinated--okay, maybe only in the last few years--by pleasant-sounding writing. Indeed, it has become an obsession with me.


I have about ten notebooks filled with writing I like; the bulk of the writing is from others, but some of the material I wrote myself. Most of it is simply phrases, some are sentences, and even fewer are paragraphs.


Here's a sampling:


--"deep, Cimmerian caverns" (dictionary.com)


--"a fascination with perplexity" (Denis Dutton)


--"A maze and amazement go together, no?" (Jorge Luis Borges)


--"its behind-the-scenes creative force" (Mike Sacks)


--"then just played to exquisite silence from the audience" (James Downey)


--"and polished by the erosive action of wind-driven sand" (dictionary.com)


--"dismissed his embattled chief strategist" (Ashley Parker)


--"who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation" (myself)


--"aides and advisers going rogue" (Ashley Parker)


--"now fallen into literary silence" (Richard Brody)


--"The silence lessened; in other words, the noise rose." (myself)


Euphonious writing has a way of calming my helter-skelter mind. And for that, I'm thankful.



***







No comments:

Post a Comment