Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Inequality Run Amuck

I have been reading quite a bit on the topic of inequality. I see it daily, so it's a subject I want to know more about. And by "seeing it daily," I mean I see it in the people I help who receive Medicaid; yet, like so many others I see it in the news and in society and in how our American culture is structured. It seems the forces are too formidable in favor of the status quo for much to be done.

Here are some quotes that can offer hope and that affirm that "something is rotten in D.C.":

--We must work together to ensure the equitable distribution of wealth, opportunity, and power in our society.           Nelson Mandela

--The causes which destroyed the ancient republics were numerous; but in Rome, one principal cause was the vast inequality of fortunes.                       Noah Webster

--The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect persons of poor and mean condition is the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments.                        Adam Smith

--An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics.      Plutarch

***

No comments:

Post a Comment