Blog Archive

Monday, January 31, 2022

Reading the Bible Again for the First Time

An excellent book that I'm rereading is Reading the Bible Again for the First Time: Taking the Bible Seriously But Not Literally, by Marcus J. Borg.

The book is basically a response to fundamentalist Christians. He sees the Bible not as "literal-factual," but as "historical-metaphorical." I was in the fundamentalist Christian movement when I was a teenager and it made sense to me then. But what I didn't know was that much of one's belief has to do with what presuppositions you start with.

As a fundamentalist, we started off with the presupposition that the Bible is basically dictated from God, therefore it can by definition contain no errors in it. I just found that couldn't stand up against what was thrown at it.

                                                                                 ***

No comments:

Post a Comment