Blog Archive

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Some Words from John Updike

I just felt like reading some great writing, so I read some nonfiction of John Updike. Here is a random paragraph from his Higher Gossip: Essays and Criticism:

When against my better judgment, I glance back at my prose from twenty or thirty years ago, the quality  I admire and fear to have lost is its carefree bounce, its snap, its exuberant air of slight excess. The author, in his boyish innocence, is calling, like the sorcerer's apprentice, upon unseen powers--the prodigious potential of this flexible language's vast vocabulary. Prose should have a flow, the forward momentum of a certain energized weight; it should feel like a voice tumbling into your ear.

                                                                               ***


No comments:

Post a Comment