Blog Archive

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Great Material on ProPublica

ProPublica recently published, "The Secret IRS Files: Trove of Never-Before-Seen-Records Reveal How the Wealthiest Avoid Income Tax." Amazing stuff, yet, as the article says, most people knew the extremely wealthy pay little in income tax, but it's still good to see the nuts and bolts.

I'm quoting from the article here: "In 2007, Jeff Bezos, then a multibillionaire and now the world's richest man, did not pay a penny in federal income taxes. He achieved the feat again in 2011. In 2018, Tesla founder Elon Musk, the second-richest person in the world, also paid no federal income taxes."

As I said, amazing stuff. So next time I hear a conservative lament the horror of extending unemployment benefits, I think I know how to reply.

                                                                            ***

No comments:

Post a Comment