Blog Archive

Monday, February 22, 2021

The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work

I'm reading John Gottman's second edition of The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert. I had read most of the first edition, but since I have been recommending the second edition to clients, I've decided to get the edition they are reading.

I think the key thought of Gottman's philosophy of what makes marriage work is the following: "At the heart of the Seven Principles approach is the simple truth that happy marriages are based on a deep friendship. By this I mean a mutual respect for and enjoyment of each other's company" (p. 21).

And I think Dr. Gottman has a lot of research to back up his assertion. 

                                                                               ***

No comments:

Post a Comment