Blog Archive

Monday, December 16, 2019

Dr. Francine Shapiro

I just recently discovered that Dr. Francine Shapiro, the originator of Eye Movement Desensitization  and Reprocessing (EMDR), has died. It happened about six months ago. I guess I'm shocked because sometimes you expect larger-than-life individuals to live to 100 or more.

I consider EMDR--even though at first it seems like something you would see on a late-night infomercial--essentially miraculous for treating trauma. I'm surprised it is not used more and that it isn't almost mandated for use. In the future I hope to take the needed training to practice EMDR.

The studies backing up its utility and speed, are legion. I must say that I am in awe of Dr. Shapiro for being the originator of this stunning form of therapy.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment