Blog Archive

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Puzzled

I guess I am puzzled about the U.S. government. But one thing does stand out. The people who are in office reflects largely on the populace's ignorance of issues (myself included). A lot of what goes into bills and how politicians vote are not known by many, thereby leaving holes in our knowledge base.

I admit, to keep on top these issues seems virtually impossible. But no doubt, many can do better. Most people spend the bulk of their time watching TV news or reading about issues on their favorite websites.

The answer, as the critic Neil Postman has repeatedly said, is for Americans to be better read on the issues, which I take him to mean that people need to do more than watching sound bites on TV and reading snippets from their favorite political pundits.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment