Blog Archive

Friday, July 26, 2019

Part 2: Lack of Social Services in N.O.

Last post I said I would follow up on the notion of lack of social services in New Orleans. A number of clients (adults) I see are struggling financially, or are homeless, or close to homeless. And many of them have various physical maladies (e.g., diabetes, chronic pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, frequent headaches, gout, etc.).

I do the best I can to offer services outside of my realm, which is mental health. But usually they run into brick walls. And no doubt, it's sometimes because the clients give up looking for resources. But I would argue that it is difficult for a healthy person who has limited emotional problems and few medical issues to work their way through the social-services system. Consequently, someone who is suffering from Bipolar Disorder, who struggles with apathy and anhedonia, and has diabetes, sleep apnea, and migrane headaches, would find it exponentially more difficult to wend her way through the complicated system we have.

There is some good case management work being done (e.g., the Advocacy Center) but it's not enough and most clients just see it as another layer of something they have to do, and expecting it to be of little help.

Next time I'll offer some suggestions.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment