Blog Archive

Monday, February 11, 2019

On Inequality and Its Discontents

I have been reading diligently on the topic of economic inequality in the United States. It has been, at times, eye-opening. A number of things I had already come across before, but one thing that I've read in two places is that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce plays a big part in keeping the wheels of inequality chugging along. For instance, the Chamber has been involved in a number of situations where they have worked against antismoking laws in other countries. I thought the Chamber was a sleepy little organization that had monthly luncheons and speakers talking about municipal bonds, with half the audience falling asleep in their martinis. Not quite.

I didn't realize the 1 percent had so many tentacles with which to crush the opponents of their desires.

I am learning.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment