Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Trivia

I have been reading again from the book, Who Knew? Things You Didn't Know About Things You Know Well, by David Hoffman. It's a short, easy-to-read book full of trivia. I perused it again because I was looking for a way to converse with my two children on the way to their school in the morning.

It helped, some.

Possibly the material is geared more for teenagers and adults. Here is a sample:

--"The computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey was called HAL as a tongue-in-cheek reference to IBM. The name was derived from the fact that the letters H-A-L precede the letters I-B-M in the alphabet."

--"The stabbing sound the knife makes in the shower scene in Psycho is in fact the sound of a knife stabbing a melon."

--"A recording of a camel's moan was slowed down and used as the sound of the tornado in Twister."

--"There are approximately 1,750 O's in every can of SpaghettiOs."

It's kind of a fun book to read. (Also, my children really liked the the entry on SpaghettiOs.)

***


No comments:

Post a Comment